Saturday, March 17, 2007

What a week!

Wowzers! This has been a busy week.

This past weekend (and the first half of the week) was spent painting the boys' room. Thank God it's finally done. It only took one coat of primer and four, yes, you heard that right, four coats of red paint. (That's a total of 3 gallons of Behr California Poppy Red.) I think my right arm is going to be non-symmetrical to my left after all that rolling. Sheesh! But it looks great. And my boys are really excited about it.

Tuesday was Owen's 4th birthday and we had a lot of fun celebrating at Chuck E. Cheese with a few close friends. Chuck E. Cheese on a Tuesday night (verses a weekend) is great. It was not busy at all and we pretty much had the run of the place.



Then Thursday as I was getting to all the laundry I had put off due to painting, my father-in-law called because he was really sick (my mother-in-law is out of state taking care of her mother's last wishes) and he needed someone to drive him to the doctor. Well, his doctor's office couldn't get him in until late that evening and they told him, with as sick as he was, to go to the ER. So I went and picked up and drove him.

Apparently, the hospitals in Bakersfield are terribly overcrowded right now. There are NO beds available. There are a lot of really nasty, mean bugs floating around and our hospitals aren't equipped to handle the amount of sick people needing care. We sat in the waiting room at the ER for 3 hours before finally being called back to see a doctor. When we finally got him into a bed, it was against the wall in the hallway of the ER (along with about 12 other people). My poor FIL was so exhausted from being up sick all night that he immediately went to sleep.

We talked to the doctor for about a minute and she prescribed some anti-nausea medication and some IV fluids to be administered. So for the next few hours I just sat with him while he slept. I talked a little to the people in the room across from our hallway spot and they said that their dad had been in the ER for three days. He had been in the hall like us until that morning when they finally moved him into an ER room. They said on Tuesday he was #8 on a wait list to get a bed in the hospital. But here it was Thursday and they were still in the emergency room. I felt bad for them.

Luckily, it turned out that my FIL had a nasty bug and nothing more serious, so after some fluids, they sent him home. We had been there 8 hours at that point. I made hime come home with me and stay at our house so we'd be close by if he started going downhill again. But by morning he was feeling much better and that was the end of that.

So that's the excitement that was my week. Don't you feel informed now? =)

1 comment:

Kim said...

So that would have been good info to have Monday night when I was so sick that I was sent to "urgent care" ya right. Danny wrote about it in his blog. It is just sad that the hosptial cannot accomidate the needs of people, not to mention how dirty the place is. I am glad to hear that your father in law is doing better. Take care